Do you find that when you’re practicing your dental care at home, it’s very rough to make it through? You have nothing against performing your dental hygiene, of course. Instead, your problem is that you cannot seem to do so without ending your session feeling like it’s more and more impossible each time. What seems to be the problem and how can you solve such issues? For your particular concerns, remember that we are always here to guide you toward the help you need! For now, let’s cover a couple common issues.
#1: You Keep Gagging
We see this at our practice, too. For some, the gag reflex is just overactive. So, what can you do at home to avoid this dental care concern? First, remember that if you’re rushing and tensing up, you’re increasing the chance of gagging. Keep the following in mind, as well:
- If your brush is too big, this encourages gagging
- If you cannot stand the scents or flavors associated with your toothpaste, switch to something that doesn’t encourage gagging
- You may wish to slowly introduce the toothbrush or floss into your mouth, so you give your body time to relax so you can prevent gagging
- Brush and floss very carefully and delicately near the back of your mouth
- Take time to breathe, so you may remain calm and keep your muscles calm
#2: Your Hands Hurt
Dental care doesn’t have to make matters worse for tired hands. Instead, try the following:
- Decide to try an electric toothbrush, which vibrates to create strokes, so you don’t have to.
- Use items that don’t make you tense up your fingers, such as a grip accessory that will widen your brush’s base for easier handling
- Speak with us about handheld flossing accessories that don’t require you to hold onto the floss with your fingertips
Make Hygiene A Breeze With Our Advice
Talk with us about your care problems if you find that it’s difficult to practice dental hygiene, so we can help you! Schedule care with your Southlake, TX dentist today by calling Gregory Wright, DDS at (817) 481-7999. We gladly serve patients from Southlake, Grapevine, Keller, Trophy Club, Colleyville, and surrounding areas.