When you speak with us about dental enamel, you will immediately recognize that this is a very important part of your oral health. As it is the outer layer that surrounds and protects the rest of each tooth (its layers and tissues within), maintaining its already strong consistency will ensure a long, safe life for each tooth. However, neglecting the preventive care your smile needs and putting enamel in harm’s way can harm the health of your teeth and expose them to serious damage. Learn about dangers, damage, and how to avoid them!
Enamel is under threat more frequently than you may realize and potentially by things you’re not even aware of. Remember the following:
- Rubbing, friction, etc., can lead to damage. Problems like bruxism can wear down your tissue.
- Pressure can cause cracks, so bruxism, eating hard foods, nail biting, and more are a problem.
- Acid is a culprit because it makes your enamel soft, causing it to thin. Be careful with your foods, drinks, and sugars (which cause acid formation in your mouth).
So, what happens if you ignore the fact that you may be damaging your dental enamel? Will serious consequences arise? The answer is: Most likely. Thinning, weakening enamel may result in the following:
- Sensitive teeth
- Yellow teeth
- Broken or cracked teeth
- Difficulty chewing
Yep, it looks like you really should be doing some things to protect your dental enamel, so you don’t end up unintentionally allowing teeth to become destroyed! You will be pleased to learn that it’s all about prevention, which you should be practicing anyway!:
- Brush your teeth!
- Floss, too
- Schedule dental checkups and cleanings
- Reduce the acidic and sugary foods you consume
Protect Enamel By Keeping Care On Target
Talk with us about how to optimize your preventive care all around, so you know you’re keeping every last part of your oral health safe, including your enamel. Schedule care with your Southlake, TX dentist today by calling Gregory Wright, DDS at (817) 481-7999. We gladly serve patients from Southlake, Grapevine, Keller, Trophy Club, Colleyville, and surrounding areas.