You may hear a lot of rumors about fluoride. The good news is that if you’ve spoken to us about fluoridated toothpaste at all, you know that it’s not toxic unless you choose to eat an entire tube in one sitting, that it’s perfectly safe for daily use, and that it’s actually essential in the fight against tooth decay. However, when someone mentions a disorder called fluorosis, you may find that your confidence in your dental hygiene habits suddenly begins to falter. Not to worry. We’ll get you back on track with the help of a friendly fluoride-based quiz.
Quiz Questions: True or False?
- True or False: Fluorosis is something that can affect any patient of any age at any time. This is why it’s very important to be careful with the amount of fluoride you use.
- True or False: If this disorder affects your child’s teeth, you can expect the need for complex restorative care in the future.
- True or False: An easy way to avoid your child receiving excessive amounts of fluoride includes combining your efforts in minimizing fluoride ingestion along with bringing your child in for checkups.
- False. Fluorosis typically occurs in young children up through the age of about eight. This is because it affects teeth as they are still within gum tissue and developing.
- False. Generally speaking, the disorder will affect your child’s smile on a cosmetic level. Mild cases result in gentle staining, while more severe cases can lead to more serious staining and problems with tooth texture. In only extreme cases might crowns be required. Cosmetic care will usually suffice.
- True. At home, you can keep kids from eating toothpaste and swallowing during brushing. During checkups, we can guide you with specific instructions to keep fluoride levels within safe limits.
Talk With Our Friendly Team About Fluoride Concerns
Remember that no dental hygiene or oral health detail is ever too small to discuss with us. Our goal is always to keep you well informed! Schedule care with your Southlake, TX dentist today by calling Gregory Wright, DDS at (817) 481-7999. We gladly serve patients from Southlake, Grapevine, Keller, Trophy Club, Colleyville, and surrounding areas.