You might have a lot of words to refer to it, depending on the context. When you’re sleeping and it flows out of your mouth, you call it drool. When someone accidentally sends a droplet onto your face when they’re speaking too closely, you call it spit. On a more technical level, we call this oral fluid saliva. You know it’s there for a reason but are you entirely sure why that is and how it affects your oral health? Let’s get you feeling a little more informed with a quick true-or-false quiz.
Quiz Questions: True or False?
- True or False: One of the primary reasons you have saliva is the fact that it helps protect your oral health by rinsing your mouth throughout the day.
- True or False: Saliva is also essential in the digestive process, which begins in your mouth. In addition to your teeth breaking food apart, your saliva gets it wet, so it can break down and then you may swallow it with ease.
- True or False: When your mouth is too dry, it impairs your ability to taste foods. When saliva is present, it aids in this sensory function.
- True. Without saliva, your mouth would not consistently be washed out, so to speak. The bacteria and food particles that are rinsed away would instead stay in place, bacteria would continue to proliferate, and your oral health would quickly become diseased!
- True. In addition to moistening your food, your saliva also begins the digestive process with its enzymes, which further help to break down food particles.
- True. You need saliva in order to taste the foods you’re eating! When you’ve got a dry mouth, it can severely affect the flavor of things.
Ask About Your Smile During Your Visits
Your dental checkups are the best time to ask us questions, even if you’re just curious about your anatomy or the function of your mouth! Schedule care with your Southlake, TX dentist today by calling Gregory Wright, DDS at (817) 481-7999. We gladly serve patients from Southlake, Grapevine, Keller, Trophy Club, Colleyville, and surrounding areas.