Nobody wants to admit that the food or drink they love very much might be bad for them! However, as we make our way down the list of common culprits for dental health problems, soda tends to be on the top! Not sure why it’s so bad for you or if, perhaps, the type of soda you drink might happen to be safe (it isn’t!), so you have some questions for us? Gather up some introductory details with our quiz and then bring follow-up questions with you to your next visit.
Quiz Questions: True or False?
- True or False: All sodas can stain your smile, leading to discoloration and a need for cosmetic care. This even includes clear ones!
- True or False: Even though it seems like drinking diet soda is going to save you from experiencing problems with your dental health, this simply isn’t the case.
- True or False: If you feel like you just can’t live without soda, drinking it through a straw can help limit the damage, as can drinking water afterwards (and brushing a half hour after that).
- True. Unfortunately, the deeply pigmented sodas (like orange, strawberry, grape, cola, etc.) will cause staining. In addition, since sodas are acidic and can damage and erode your enamel, they prime your teeth for other foods and drinks to leave stains (so even clear soda can cause problems).
- True. While it’s wonderful to cut sugar out of your diet when you can, soda is problematic not only because of sugar but also because it is so acidic. Even without the presence of sugar, it can strip teeth of their enamel over time.
- True. If you are going to consume soda, then it’s best to remember that limiting contact with your teeth (and cleaning them afterwards) is the best approach to protecting your dental health.
Maintain Healthy Smiles By Asking For Diet Tips
When you ask us which foods and beverage to avoid, you position yourself to protect your teeth and gums throughout your daily life with greater ease. Schedule care with your Southlake, TX dentist today by calling Gregory Wright, DDS at (817) 481-7999. We gladly serve patients from Southlake, Grapevine, Keller, Trophy Club, Colleyville, and surrounding areas.