Are you a dental patient who is over 60 years of age? If so, have you been wondering about your oral health, whether there are any unique issues that you should expect simply because of your age, and what to do about keeping your smile safe? If so, you may want to get the ball rolling on this topic with the help of a quiz. Of course, this is also a wonderful topic to bring up during a visit with us.
Quiz Questions: True or False?
- True or False: You’re going to need a tooth replacement if you are over 60. Losing teeth is just a fact of aging and oral health.
- True or False: When you exceed 60 years of age, you no longer need to come in to see us for your preventive care visits.
- True or False: It’s very important to address dry mouth if it occurs (which is often an issue for more mature tissues or for individuals taking certain medicine).
- False. Tooth loss is not something that occurs in all mature mouths. It is something that might happen on accident (such as from a powerful impact) or as the result of oral disease. Keep your oral health in good shape and your teeth will remain in place.
- False. You will always need to come in to see us for your preventive care! All ages require cleanings, checkups, and home dental hygiene.
- True. It’s easy to suddenly discover you’re developing tooth decay without realizing why as you enter your senior years. If cavities suddenly crop up, dry mouth could be the culprit (since inadequate saliva means bacteria that are less frequently flushed away).