Do you know exactly why we suggest you schedule a dental checkup with us two times every year? Have you become something of a pro regarding what to expect, what we’re looking for, and what makes prevention so advantageous? Or, do you feel a bit bewildered by the entire experience – certain the exam is for a good purpose but you generally assume we’re just looking for cavities? Give your knowledge a quick self-exam with a brief quiz. It will verify that you are, indeed, a checkup expert (or you’ll quickly soak up the knowledge you’re missing).
Checkup Quiz: True or False?
- True or False: We only look for hygiene-related problems when you come in to see us for a dental checkup – these include issues like tooth decay or infection.
- True or False: If we don’t find anything wrong with your oral health during your checkup, we will usually tell you that you can come in to see us within a year or two. If something is wrong with your smile, then you will need to continue seeing us every six months.
- True or False: You will usually schedule your checkup with a cleaning as a single preventive care visit.
- False. We seek out signs of change regardless of the type of concern. This may include hygiene-related issues as well as oral cancer or functional disorders like bruxism (teeth grinding and teeth clenching) and TMJ disorder (problems with jaw joint function).
- False. Regardless of your oral health, we generally suggest you see us twice a year for your dental checkup. We may suggest more frequent visits for severe problems like gum disease.
- True. Examining your oral health and providing you with a professional cleaning in the same visit is an essential aspect of providing your smile with effective preventive care.