A trip to the dentist can cause you to feel uneasy no matter the reason for your visit. Some patients feel nervous as the result of certain procedures. Others simply suffer from anxiety just by thinking about dental care. While we are always sorry to learn a patient has had a traumatic experience with dental care in his or her life, we are equally excited to offer comfortable care for a future of exceptional visits. In the meantime, as you learn to become at ease at our practice, we provide options like nitrous oxide that will help you enjoy a truly tranquil experience. Ready to find out how much you know about this form of sedation? Test your knowledge with the following quiz:
True-or-False Nitrous Oxide Quiz
- True or False: Nitrous oxide will put you to sleep, so you are unconscious during your visit or procedure.
- True or False: Nitrous oxide is not safe for children – only for adults.
- True or False: Nitrous oxide offers gentle sedation to take the edge off of your nerves.
- False. Nitrous oxide, like other sedation dentistry options, will not cause you to fall asleep. You will be awake while you are under the influence of this medicine – also called “laughing gas.” However, you will feel euphoric and relaxed.
- False. This sedative is safe for nearly every patient. This includes your children. Our youngest patients are a bit more sensitive to nitrous oxide than adults, which means the medicine will act right away, so they will be smiling and laughing during their treatment rather than feeling nervous. Fortunately, it wears off quickly as well.
- True. Laughing gas is considered a gentle yet effective option for calming your nerves. Unlike other types of sedation, such as IV sedation that results in very deep relaxation, this option will cause you to feel free of your nervousness. However, because it is so gentle and wears off quickly, you will be able to drive yourself home after your visit.
ABOUT YOUR SOUTHLAKE, TX DENTISTS:
As a native Texan, Gregory Wright, DDS, opened his private practice in Southlake, TX in 1992. He and Dr. Victoria Heron are happily accepting new patients from Southlake, Grapevine, Keller, Trophy Club, Colleyville, and all surrounding communities. To learn more, call our office today at (817) 481-7999.