You have probably heard us remind you time and time again to schedule your next preventive visit ahead of time. However, you may find yourself wondering why we insist on seeing you more than once every year. When it comes to maintaining consistent dental cleanings and checkups, our goal is simply to prevent problems from occurring with your oral health. For a clearer understanding of what to expect from preventive care, why it’s so important, and how often you should visit, test your knowledge with the following quiz:
Checkups and Cleanings: True or False
- True or False: You should schedule a dental cleaning and checkup once every six months for effective preventive care.
- True or False: During your checkup, we spend most of our time looking for cavities.
- True or False: You can remove every trace of plaque on your own with home hygiene if you are consistent.
Quiz Answer Key
- True. For most patients, even those who practice excellent home hygiene, we suggest visiting us twice a year, so we may clean your teeth and monitor your oral health. The more often we remove plaque, the greater chance you have of avoiding tooth decay and gum disease. In addition, by carefully tracking your health, we can detect problems the moment they arise for successful treatment.
- False. While detecting tooth decay is certainly significant, we are concerned about your overall oral health. This includes all of the structures that support your oral cavity, such as your jaw joints and your muscles. This visit also gives us time to diagnose disorders like bruxism (teeth grinding) and TMJ disorder (jaw joint problems). With treatment, we may address your discomfort while protecting your mouth against damage.
- False. You may do a very good job at removing a large portion of the plaque that adheres to your teeth every day. However, for a truly clean smile, you will need a dental cleaning. We use ultrasonic cleaning instruments to gently yet effectively remove plaque, following by a tooth polishing. We ensure every surface of your smile is clean and fresh.
ABOUT YOUR SOUTHLAKE DENTISTS:
As a native Texan, Gregory Wright, DDS, opened his private practice in Southlake, TX in 1992. He and Dr. Victoria Heron are happily accepting new patients from Southlake, Grapevine, Keller, Trophy Club, Colleyville, and all surrounding communities. To learn more, call our office today at (817) 481-7999.