One of the most common cosmetic treatments performed today is teeth whitening. Many patients experience varying levels of discoloration of their teeth, which may be able to be removed with our treatments. However, prevention is as always a key element, and there are certain things you can do to stop stains from forming in the first place. You can prevent teeth stains by watching what you eat and drink, following certain oral health guidelines, and attending your regularly scheduled dental appointments so we can keep an eye on your oral health.
How You Can Prevent Discoloration
- Red wine
- Certain sauces—Dark sauces such as soy and tomato
- Candy—If it can stain your tongue, then it can do the same to your teeth, though you will generally have to eat a lot of it.
Other things that can cause discoloration include:
- Tobacco usage
- Diseases or medication—If you are concerned about one of these, then we can discuss your options at your appointment to help protect your teeth.
- Damage to your teeth—If your teeth are injured somehow, such as if the nerves become damaged or your tooth cracks, your teeth may be more prone to discoloration.
- Poor hygiene—If you do not maintain your oral health properly, you may develop stains. Brush your teeth twice a day and floss at least once. You can also consider using an ADA approved mouth wash to further protect your teeth.
Teeth Whitening Treatments
If your teeth have become stained, then we may be able to treat them using our in-office Zoom! Whitening treatment, or design you special trays that will enable you to whiten your teeth at home. These can whiten your teeth in a short amount of time to give you a brighter smile.
ABOUT YOUR SOUTHLAKE COSMETIC DENTISTS:
As a native Texan, Gregory Wright, DDS, opened his private practice in Southlake, TX in 1992. He and Dr. Victoria Heron are happily accepting new patients from Southlake, Grapevine, Keller, Trophy Club, Colleyville, and all surrounding communities. To learn more, call our office today at (817) 481-7999.