Protecting your smile from gum disease, the leading cause of adult tooth loss, is one of the most important aspects of good dental hygiene and care. Allow it to develop, and ignore it as it progresses, and gum disease can wreak irreversible damage to the foundational structures that support your teeth. If you seek treatment at your dentist’s office early enough, however, you can protect your smile from the destruction. First, though, you’ll have to know the warning signs of gum disease to know when the disease is imminent.
What to Look Out For
Gum disease actually describes an infection in the tissues that surround the roots of your teeth, resulting from excessive bacteria building up along your gum line. The longer it’s present, the more damage your gums and underlying jawbone can sustain. Symptoms that could warn you of gum disease can include;
- Redness, swelling, tenderness, and/or darkened tissues in your gums
- Bleeding gums, particularly when you brush your teeth or bite down on something hard
- Bad breath that doesn’t go away
- Gum recession, or pulling away from your teeth
- Loose teeth
A Look at Gum Disease Risk Factors
Poor hygiene is the leading cause of gum disease. If you don’t brush and floss your teeth often enough, oral bacteria can grow and multiply from underneath the protection of the plaque they form. Still, even if you diligently brush and floss your teeth every day, some factors can increase your risk of developing destructive gum disease, such as;
- Hormones, especially for women during pregnancy, menstruation, and other major hormonal changes
- A weakened immune system, which makes you more susceptible to most infections and diseases
- Smoking or chewing tobacco
- Neglectful dental care (for optimal dental health, you should attend a dental checkup and cleaning at least once every six months)
ABOUT YOUR SOUTHLAKE DENTISTS:
As a native Texan, Gregory Wright, DDS, opened his private practice in Southlake, TX in 1992. He and Dr. Victoria Heron are happily accepting new patients from Southlake, Grapevine, Keller, Trophy Club, Colleyville, and all surrounding communities. To learn more, call our office today at (817) 481-7999.